Phone # (315) 468-1679
Fax # (315) 468-1473
Dear Property Owners, Tenants and Occupants:
The Village of Solvay Codes Department needs your help to keep our Village a safe and beautiful place to live and work. We ask that you please assess your property for the following small things you can do to help keep Solvay clean.
Residential & Rental Properties:
- Please make sure you or your tenants take the garbage out to the curb (not the sidewalk) on your appropriate “trash day” (trash cans &/or bags may be placed at the curb the night before but not before 4:00 pm. All empty containers are to be removed from the curb the same day following pickup, but no later than 8:00 pm).
- Garbage workers have to lift trash bags and containers all day, totaling thousands of pounds. Give the workers a break so they don’t break – don’t pack trashcans or bags to heavy. If the bag or can is too heavy for you, then it’s too heavy for us.
- The Solvay Highway Department conducts bulk pick-ups every Friday for larger items but will not take paint cans (unless lid remove and contents dried), aerosol cans, tires, TVs, computers, microwaves, dehumidifiers, air-conditioners, refrigerators, tanks, construction debris (more than a wheelbarrow/trash can full), cardboard, ANY electronic devices, or mattresses (unless fee of $30 pre-paid — Call (315) 488-4549 to arrange mattress disposal). This service is for village residents only and must be pre-arranged with the Highway Department by calling (315) 468-1606. Items must not be placed out for pickup until the afternoon before your scheduled pick-up.
- Please, be courteous don’t block the sidewalk with trash or basketball hoops. “Remove the hoops when not in use” so pedestrians are not forced to walk in the street.
- Please keep your trash receptacles & bags behind your house or garage. Overflowing trash cans and ripped garbage bags are very unsightly, plus they smell and bring unwelcome insects & rodents.
- Please refrain from storing your garbage on your porch, as this is unsightly and unhealthy:
- Overloaded porches can be dangerous. You must have clear pathways to get out of your home in-case of emergencies. Cluttered areas can slow you down and cause you to stumble and fall, which can cost you injuries and time when seconds count.
- Emergency personnel need clear access to get inside buildings to respond to emergencies and to carry patients out to waiting medical transport.
Commercial Properties With Dumpsters:
- Please give your tenants, especially new tenants a list of your trash hauler set of rules.
- Please regularly check on your dumpsters. Many times they are overflowing and debris is collecting outside the dumpster (most haulers will only empty the dumpster, they won’t pick up the trash left around the dumpster or junk in the yard).
- Consider designating someone to periodically pickup trash that has blown from your yard into the road’s right-of-way or your neighbor’s property.
- Remember, having a messy or sloppy yard reflects on the management and/or owners. A clean place attracts clean tenants and encourages compliance with both owner’s rules and municipal codes.
The entire community and Village of Solvay will thank you for your cooperation and you will be setting an example for your neighbors. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Code Enforcement Office.