Code Enforcement Officer: Peter Albrigo
Code Enforcement Officer: David Bosco
Code Enforcement Clerk: Cindy Catalano
Phone # 468-1679
Fax # 468-1473
1100 Woods Road Solvay, NY
The Code Enforcement Department is located at The Village Hall on the 2nd Floor
Monday – Friday 8:30am-4:00pm.
The Code Enforcement Office handles the following Areas:
- Building Permits
- Building Permits Inspections
- Zoning Compliance/ Complaints
- Fire Inspections
- Rental Inspections
- Code Violations
Examples of projects that required a permit:
- Any New Buildings
- All Additions/Remodeling/Interior Renovations
- Pools ( above ground, in ground ,blowup temporary pools, & Hot Tubs)
- Decks and Porches
- Fireplaces and Woodstoves
If you are unsure if your project needs a Building Permit please call The Code Enforcement Department 468-1679.
Building Permit Inspections
Building Inspections are required during each stage of construction to ensure compliance with Village and State Codes. Inspections are required at the following stages:
- Footing inspection (re-rod hung on the form) before cement is poured.
- Foundation wall is finished, before backfill.
- Framing is completed and all mechanical (plumbing, electrical HVAC, and all fire stopping & fire proofing).
- Insulation is completed.
- Green sheet rock & Fire rated sheet rock is completed or any other type of Fire Separation.
- Construction is completed and all other certificates have been issued.
Zoning Compliance/ Complaints
The primary function of Zoning Compliance is to identify and correct violations in The Village of Solvay Codes and Ordinances. The Code Enforcement Department operates upon Citizen Complaints and our own observations.
The Code Enforcement Department works closely with violators to bring them into compliance. If necessary will present cases to Justice Court for prosecution.
All Commercial and multiple residential buildings require periodic Fire Safety Inspections for compliance with the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code.
On June 17, 2008, the Board of Trustees adopted a local law establishing a Real Property Rental Registration and Inspection Program for the Village of Solvay. This New Rental Law requires that all rental properties including one-family residences be registered and inspected.
The program has a fee payment of $40.00 for each rental unit (registration fee is $15.00 & inspection fee is $25.00) the fee payment is for a 3 year period. Failure to pay registration and inspection fees will result in charges being levied against and added as an additional tax upon subject property.
Common Code Violations
- Unsafe buildings: Structures that are structurally unsound or abandoned.
- Unsecured buildings: Buildings that are abandoned, must be boarded up,repaired, or demolished.
- Lawn and lot maintenance : weeds and grass that is greater than 10 inches in height.
- Unlicensed Vehicles.
- Trash/Garbage-Brush-Yard Waste